You always want to feel your best while you travel, whether you are flying to an exotic destination or getting ready for a hike in the mountains. With more than 60 scientific research studies exploring the health benefits of Montmorency tart cherries including sleep, inflammation, exercise recovery and heart health, they’re sure to become your new travel essential. Credit: Montmorency Tart U.S. Cherries
Black cherry granita
- 300 gm black cherries very ripe, pitted
- 100 gm caster sugar plus extra to taste
- 1-2 tbsp cherry brandy optional
- Put the cherries into a large pan with 300ml water and the sugar.
- Cook gently for 10-15 minutes until the cherries have softened completely.
- Whizz in a food processor or blender, then push through a sieve (taste and add a little more sugar if needed).
- Stir in the cherry brandy, if using. Pour into a large baking dish and freeze for an hour.
- Use a fork to scrape the frozen edges into the middle then freeze again.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times at hourly intervals until the granita has set. Serve in small glasses.